How to scrap my car in Lincoln

So, your car has had its day and you’re thinking “it’s time to go to the scrapyard and scrap my car”. But do you know how to do it? There are some guidelines to follow. But don’t worry! It’s a very simple procedure.

Scrapping your car

Scrapping your car is pretty easy. Due to new guidelines, you no longer have to pay to get rid of it. Plus you should get some money back due to the increase in the value of scrap metal. Furthermore, scrapping your car is good for the environment, as parts are usually recycled afterwards.

For this to happen you need to take your car to a scrapyard, or an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) licensed by the Environment Agency. Please make sure that they’re licensed, because it’s illegal to take your car anywhere else.

Also make sure you let the DVLA know if you’ve scrapped your car. Because if you forget, you could be hit with a £1000 fine!

What paperwork do you need?

The vehicle logbook (V5C) – you won’t be able to scrap your car without this. Not only does it prove the car belongs to you, but it also stops any unauthorised sales. It is important to remember to keep the yellow slip from it (V5C/3).  You must also make sure you get a receipt from the ATF.

You should receive a Certificate of Destruction (CoD), by post or email, within a week. This is a vital piece of paperwork as it proves to the DVLA that you’ve had the car recycled, and that you have no future responsibility for it.

How much will I get when I scrap my car?

Of course you will have the scrap value, however there are other options open to you to get more cash for it. You could sell some of the car parts before taking your car to the scrapyard. Some people find this brings in more money.

However, the easiest option for scrapping your car is to call us at Lincoln Waste Management on 01522 686787 or 07825 788036. Or email us at  We do all the hard work for you. We offer free collection too!

You can check our licences here

Don’t forget to cancel your car insurance policy as soon as you have scrapped your vehicle. You never know, you might get a refund on any unused cover!

If you have bought your car tax in advance, then you will be able to claim any full months unused tax.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *